Political Organizer - Silver Spring, Maryland / Washington, D.C.
National Nurses United, the nation’s largest nurses union, seeks an experienced Political Organizer to work in the union’s federal government relations department. NNU leads the registered nurse movement to transform the market-driven health care industry in the United States into a health care system driven by patient needs. NNU has negotiated the best registered nurse collective bargaining contracts in the nation and provides critical leadership in the labor and social justice movements on multiple issues including on Medicare for All, health and safety protections for health care workers, environmental justice and climate change, and labor law reform.
Under the direction of the National Government Relations Director, the Political Organizer is responsible for a broad range of program objectives to build and strengthen our union’s political and electoral infrastructure in our facilities and our communities. The Political Organizer may also engage in the international work of the union, working to build international nurse union solidarity, and campaigning on international issues including nurse health and safety, environmental justice and access to medicines. This is a unique and exciting opportunity for the right person to make a real difference for health care justice and building the movement for economic and social justice, both domestically in the United States and internationally.
Areas of Responsibility
- Develop and coordinate member political activities for political fundraising and electoral campaigns, including canvassing, peer-to-peer texting, and phone banking.
- Build the union’s internal and external mobilization capacity for political and electoral work and support and train members to participate in this program. Work may include developing campaign strategy, writing/producing/distributing voter information material, setting up phone banks, organizing get-out-the-vote efforts, recruiting volunteers, and working with electoral coalitions.
- Organize, track, and support increased member participation in our electoral work using various political database functions.
- Conduct door-to-door canvassing, phone banking, and peer-to-peer texting to get out the vote and increase voter turnout for NNU-endorsed candidates.
- Develop and conduct workshops for union members on how to perform various assignments related to political and electoral campaigns.
- Represent the union at political and community activities.
- Work with union staff to integrate overall political strategy into planning for contract and organizing campaigns.
- Coordinate international union partners in strategic campaigns that advance global nurse solidarity.
- Engage multiple campaigns and projects simultaneously in a work environment with rapidly changing priorities.
- Three or more years of experience working in the labor movement or other progressive movement.
- Demonstrated success in political organizing and campaign work.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, organize, and manage grassroots programs and operations.
- Demonstrated ability to develop training curriculum and conduct workshops.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, as well as in large group settings.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently, manage multiple projects simultaneously, and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate and interact effectively with union staff and union members.
- Current driver’s license required.
- Ability to travel when required.
- Bachelor's Degree and relevant advanced degree are preferred.
Salary and Benefits: Depending on experience $92,063 - $183,306 and outstanding benefits offered, including comprehensive family health & dental plan, domestic partner coverage, and generous pension.
Please submit a Résumé and cover letter.
Please be sure to fill out the one-page online application form.
National Nurses United is a premiere organization of registered nurses and one of the nation’s fastest growing labor and professional organizations in the U.S. and a strong, progressive voice for nurses, patients and health care workers around the world. We are seeking a like-minded and experienced professional who believes in our mission with a personal dedication to social justice issues.
NNU is committed to Equal Opportunity, and to considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives to apply.