Maine State Nurses Association campaign for safe staffing ratios
Maine nurses are standing up for nurse and patient safety by supporting L.D. 1639, “The Maine Quality Care Act”. Our union strongly supports this bill, sponsored by state Senator Stacy Brenner, RN.
There is a proven method to save patients’ lives and improve nurses’ working conditions while saving hospitals money — mandated minimum RN-to-patient staffing ratios. Studies show that if all hospitals increased RN staffing to match the best-staffed hospitals in the country, 5,000 in-hospital patient deaths and 60,000 adverse patient outcomes per year could be avoided. Additionally, unsafe staffing conditions lead to higher rates of job dissatisfaction and moral injury for RNs, leading to many leaving the bedside or the profession altogether.
Maine has an opportunity to lead the way by offering a real solution to the staffing crisis. Safe staffing ratios save lives. There is no more time to waste.
Sign the petition for safe staffing
Sign our petition to pass the historic Maine Quality Care Act now!
Learn more about staffing ratios
Myths and facts about safe staffing
Our patients are at risk from unsafe registered nurse (RN) staffing. Nurses know this and research shows this. But hospital administrators are trying to stop us from solving the crisis — and they’re spreading misinformation about staffing.
Learn more to help counter those myths with the truth »
Fact sheet: The Maine Quality Care Act
L.D. 1639 does the following to help secure safe staffing ratios in Maine:
- Establishes mandated minimum RN staffing ratios that require additional staffing based on individual patient care needs.
- Safeguards nurses’ right to advocate in exclusive interests of the patients under their care.
- Protects nurse whistleblowers who speak out about assignments that are unsafe for the patient or nurse.
- Requires hospitals to post notices on minimum ratios and maintain records on staffing.
- Authorizes the Maine Department of Public Health to enforce RN-to-patient limits.
Learn more by reading our fact sheet »
RN Staffing Ratios: A Necessary Solution to the Patient Safety Crisis in U.S. Hospitals
Safe staffing ratios are saving lives and bringing RNs back to the bedside.
Learn more by reading NNU's safe staffing ratios report »