Global Nurses Solidarity Assembly Convenes with Nurses from Around the World
Sept. 12-15 – San Francisco, Calif.
Premiere of Video -- Global Nurses United: In Solidarity
Nurses, labor leaders, and activists from across the globe, including representatives from 25 countries, are gathering for the Global Nurses Solidarity Assembly, being held Sept.12-15, in San Francisco, Calif. The event is organized by the California Nurses Association/National Nurses Organizing Committee (CNA/NNOC), an affiliate of National Nurses United (NNU), the largest union and professional organization of registered nurses in the United States.
“While we may be from opposite sides of the globe, we know that as nurses we share a common mission and are all bound by the same fundamental convictions: to heal the sick and injured, and fiercely advocate for the well-being of our patients, our communities, and our planet,” said Bonnie Castillo, RN, CNA/NNOC and NNU executive director.
“We live in a world where working people are under attack, where our health systems are threatened by corporations and privatization. But these forces are not inevitable; we have the power to create and transform our world. When we work together in solidarity as a global movement of nurses, there is nothing we cannot achieve,” Castillo added.
The assembly includes global nurse leaders from 25 countries. A number of additional union representatives signed up to attend, but were denied entry into the United States. The U.S. State Department denied visas to the entire delegations from Malawi and Sri Lanka, as well as some of the union leaders from India and Guatemala.
“Nurse union leaders deserve the right to meet with each other, to express our solidarity and advance protections for patients, nurses, and the planet,” said Castillo. “Our sisters and brothers from Malawi, Sri Lanka, India, and Guatemala who were denied visas are with us in spirit. They can never deny our nurses’ solidarity, and we will keep fighting together for a better world.”
Global Nurses United, a federation of 31 premiere nurse and health care worker unions in 28 nations who fight against austerity, privatization, and attacks on public health, is releasing its latest video Global Nurses United: In Solidarity at the assembly. The link of this video may be shared or embedded and the file may be downloaded from this link.
Plenary presentations featuring international panels of speakers include:
- Global Health, Global Justice
- Nurses Fight to Win International Health Care Justice in the 21st Century
- Racial Injustice--Our National Disease, Our Challenge for Change
- Workplace Democracy and Working Class Power
- Insurgent Feminism: Workers of the World Unite for Gender Equity
- Advocacy without Borders: Fighting Inhumane Immigration Policy
- The Global Climate Emergency--The Fight for Environmental Justice
- Australian Nursing & Midwifery Federation
- New South Wales Nurses and Midwives Association
- Botswana Nurses Union
- Federação Nacional dos Enfermeiros
- Canadian Federation of Nurses Unions
- Manitoba Nurses Union
- Registered Nurses Union Newfoundland and Labrador
- Saskatchewan Union of Nurses
- United Nurses of Alberta
- Federación Nacional de Asociaciones de Enfermereas y Enfermeros de Chile
- Curaçaose Bond van Werknemers in Verplegende en Verzorgende Instellingen (CBV, Curaçao)
- Sindicato Nacional de Trabajadores de Enfermeria
- Panhellenic Federation of Nursing Staff
- Sindicato Nacional de los Trabajadores de Salud de Guatemala
- Asociación Nacional de Enfermeras y Enfermeros Auxiliares de Honduras (ANEEAH)
- United Nurses Association
- Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation
- Japan Federation of Medical Worker’s Unions
- Kenya National Union of Nurses
- Asociación Paraguaya de Enfermería
- Federación de Enfermeras del Ministério de Salud del Perú
- Filipino Nurses United
- Sindicato dos Enfermeiros Portugueses (SEP)
- Rwanda Nurses and Midwives Union
- Korean Health and Medical Workers Union
- Taiwan Nurses Union
- Uganda Nurses and Midwives Union
- National Nurses United
- Sindicato Unico de Enfermeria del Uruguay
Full Global Nurse Solidarity Assembly schedule of events
Press are welcome to attend plenary programs and encouraged to contact us if interested in interviews with nurse leaders from around the world.