National Nurses United (NNU) seeks an experienced Web Designer/Content Editor with a commitment to social justice and professional experience in social advocacy and communications. The ideal candidate will be knowledgeable in labor, social, and political issues.
NNU is also well known for negotiating premiere collective bargaining contracts for registered nurses, for sponsoring the nation’s foremost safe RN staffing law, for unionization campaigns that have made it one of the fastest-growing unions in the country, and for innovative, award-winning political campaigns. NNU has 150,000 members in all 50 states.
NNU is the nation’s largest union and professional association of registered nurses, and at the forefront of national efforts to transform the United States’ market-driven health care industry into a single-payer-style health care system. To nurses, reforming our health system is just one piece of building a social movement toward a more just and equitable society.
In short, we are a strong, progressive voice for nurses, patients, and health care workers around the world. We are seeking a like-minded and experienced professional who believes in our mission with a personal dedication to social justice issues to join our team as a Web Designer/Content Editor.
This position is based in Oakland, CA.
- Manage the NNU website using Drupal, HTML, and CSS. Includes daily publishing as well as long term projects, upgrades, and design changes.
- Build and test HTML emails using email management software; review and edit emails to ensure quality; send out to mass distribution lists.
- Build and administer WordPress sites, with an eye for long-term maintenance.
- Work with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools to maintain lists and sync with organizational database.
- Create online forms, surveys, petitions, and other online actions using various web tools.
- Create and manage small texting and VOIP dialer campaigns.
- Strategize on the web, email, and other digital campaigns with the rest of the communications team.
- Analyze and report performance of all work and communicate clearly to various stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned by the NNU Communications Director.
- Three years’ experience in professional web design, operating at a mid-sized company/organization for at least twelve months.
- Strong knowledge of Content Management Systems such as Drupal and WordPress.
- Experience with email management software such as Blue State Digital or Mail Chimp.
- Experience with online organizing tools such as Action Kit or Every Action a plus.
- Ability to troubleshoot technical issues and create solutions for long term needs.
- Working knowledge of Photoshop and ability to work with a variety of image and video file formats.
- Experience with web analytics and/or search engine optimizations a plus.
- English language proficiency, with a good grasp of grammar and attention to detail; ability to copy edit a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to function well as part of a team, and equally comfortable running with solo tasks.
- A bachelor’s or associates degree in digital design, or other analogous qualifications/experience, with a good sense of design and the ability to follow branding guidelines.
- Willingness to work hours and schedule as needed to complete projects and support organizational campaigns. Willingness to travel, as needed.
- Ability to work in dynamic, fast-paced environment.
Excellent salary and benefits with a generous pension plan. Full family health coverage.
Please submit résumé, cover letter, and three work samples by clicking the “Apply” button. Please be sure to fill out the online application form.
Please, no calls.
NNU is committed to equal opportunity, and to considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, religions, and other characteristics. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives to apply.