Regulatory/Policy Specialist - San Francisco Bay Area
National Nurses United (NNU), the nation’s largest nurses’ union and professional association, seeks a committed professional who has successfully helped develop politically progressive policies for the position of Regulatory/Policy Specialist in the Oakland-based Health Policy Department.
NNU is the premiere organization of registered nurses and one of the nation’s fastest growing labor and professional organizations in the U.S., and a strong, progressive voice for nurses, patients, and health care workers around the world. We are seeking a like-minded and experienced professional who believes in our mission with a personal dedication to social justice issues to be our Regulatory/Policy Specialist. Key policy areas include Registered Nurse licensure, scope of practice, and workplace rights; Medicare for All; public health and patient advocacy; health care equity; and health care delivery and payment systems.
We will help the right person making a long-term commitment learn more about health care and nursing regulations.
- Monitor, interpret, and assess proposed legislation and government agency regulations for potential impact on Registered Nurses, public health and safety, and health care policy
- Develop NNU response, make presentations, and draft reports on the effects of regulations, legislation, and policy for members, leaders, and staff
- Develop policy positions, testimony, talking points, and lobbying materials
- Prepare and submit regulatory comments on complex registered nurse and health policy issues
- Share the values and mission of the organization
- Bachelor’s degree (law degree a plus)
- Experience in regulatory/policy advocacy
- Demonstrated written and analytical skills
- Demonstrated commitment to social and economic justice
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Experience juggling competing demands and changing priorities on a deadline
- Track record of working the hours required to be successful at creating change
- Understanding how regulatory agencies and commissions work
- Experience in health policy issues
- Three years’ experience working in a position requiring judgment and confidentiality
- Firsthand experience drafting effective legislation and regulations
NNU provides a very competitive salary and benefit package including full family and domestic partner coverage, medical, dental, pension, and 401(k).
Please provide the following:
- A current resume reflecting qualifications for this position
- A Letter of Application which specifically addresses how accomplishments in your career have prepared you for this position.
- Be sure to fill out the one-page form
NNU is committed to Equal Opportunity and to considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives to apply.