The California Nurses Association/National Nurses United seeks an experienced, professional Legal Secretary to provide support to our dynamic, fast-paced Legal Department in Oakland, California. The ideal candidate will have 3+ years as a legal secretary with a solid work history that includes substantial litigation experience, ideally in the area of labor law and NLRB procedures. Must have knowledge of both Federal and State court rules, procedures, pleadings, filings, and e-filings. Must be skilled in generating TOA, TOC, word processing, proof reading and calendaring.
- Maintain knowledge of multiple jurisdictions filing and service procedures in state and federal court.
- Maintain knowledge of NLRB, PERB, FLRA, IRLB, EEOC Rules and Regulations.
- Word processing - preparation of pleadings and correspondence, including proofreading.
- Filing, including setting up, maintaining, closing, and archiving files.
- Making occasional court runs and helping with special projects.
- Assisting in trial preparation, including photocopying and collating exhibits.
- Helping the legal department function smoothly, including the timely sorting of mail, coordinating calendars, scheduling travel and other functions.
- Communicate with courts, arbitrators, and opposing counsel.
- Assist with library updates and ordering.
- Work as an integral member of the legal team assisting with case preparation and case management.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- At least three years’ experience as a legal secretary.
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, Outlook, Excel).
- Solid knowledge of legal concepts, terminology, processes and filing procedures with various courts.
- Knowledge of legal calendaring and court rules.
- Experience preparing TOA’s and TOC’s.
- Well organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to exercise confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy in all dealings.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team.
For confidential consideration, please submit resume and cover letter to:
888-487-8850 ext. 111
CNA/NNU is committed to Equal Opportunity, and to considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives to apply.