Sen. Bernie Sanders to Headline All Star Lineup at Big Gathering of Progressive Activists in Chicago
Beyond Resistance: A People’s Movement for a Just World
Sen. Bernie Sanders will keynote a major gathering of several thousand progressive activists from across the U.S. in Chicago June 9 to 11 under a thematic of moving beyond resistance to a building a broad people’s movement for a just world.
What: People’s Summit “Beyond Resistance: A People’s Movement for a Just World”
When: June 9 through June 11
Where: Chicago, McCormick Place
Many of those in Chicago last June have played leading roles in public actions and protests this year, but the supporting organizations are unified in calling for defining a progressive vision that beyond resistance and protests.
Scheduled participants include:
- Sen. Bernie Sanders
- Jane Sanders, the Sanders Institute
- Becky Bond, author/activist
- Josh Fox, filmmaker
- Danny Glover, actor/activist
- Amy Goodman, host, Democracy Now
- Jim Hightower, The Lowdown
- Craig Hodges, author, former Chicago Bulls star
- Rep. Pramila Jayapal, member of Congress
- Ben Jealous, former NAACP President, Maryland Gubernatorial candidate
- Van Jones, The Dream Corps, CNN commentator
- Rep. Ro Khanna (CA), member of Congress
- Naomi Klein, author
- Bill McKibben, 350.org
- Christine Pellegrino, New York Assembly member-elect
- Rep. Mark Pocan, member of Congress
- Carlos Ramirez Rosa, Alderman, City of Chicago
- Joe Salazar, Colorado State Representative
- Linda Sarsour, Arab-American Association
- David Sirota, International Business Times
- Zephry Teachout, Fordham University
- Nina Turner, Our Revolution, former Ohio State Senator
- Katrina vandenHeuvel, editor, The Nation
- Keeanga Yamahtta-Taylor, author
- Dave Zirin, Edge of Sports
This year’s program will feature concrete steps for further progressive movement building, including candidate training, independent political action, civil disobedience, educational workshops, and unity in mass actions.
Another highlight will be “The People Speak” featuring an all-star lineup of actors and musicians celebrating the often neglected history of the United States. Performers will include Joan Baez, Hong Chau, Jesse Eisenberg, Frances Fisher, Laura Gomez, Brian Jones, Melissa Leo, Aasif Mandvi, Susan Pourfar, Kendrick Sampson, and Wallace Shawn.
Convening organizations include National Nurses United, People’s Action, United Students Against Sweatshops, People for Bernie, Our Revolution, United Electrical Workers, Color of Change, Progressive Democrats of America, and Democratic Socialists of America, and Million Hoodies.
More information, including how to register for the event, is available at the People’s Summit website, http://www.thepeoplessummit.org/.