Immediate Opening: Legislative Advocate
National Nurses United (NNU), the nation's largest nurses' union, seeks an experienced Legislative Advocate. NNU leads the Registered Nurse movement to transform the market-driven healthcare industry in the United States into a health care system driven by patient needs. NNU has negotiated the best Registered Nurse collective bargaining contracts in the nation and provided critical leadership in the labor and social justice movements on multiple issues including Medicare for All, Safe Staffing for Nurses, Workplace Violence Prevention, the Robin Hood Tax, and much more.
The legislative advocate will work under the direction of the Political Director and the Lead Legislative Advocate, working from our Silver Spring, Md., office. The primary focus of this role is to advance our organization's objectives through the union's federal legislative program. This work includes lobbying Members of Congress to advance the union's priority legislation, drafting legislation, writing testimony and advocacy materials, building alliances with other organizations to advance our agenda, and organizing nurse membership involvement. This is a unique and exciting opportunity for the right person to make a real difference for health care justice and building the movement for economic and social justice.
- Advocate priority legislative and policy positions to Members of Congress and their staff, congressional committees, and federal agencies.
- Advance priority legislation through congressional committees, the House of Representatives, and the Senate.
- Draft legislation on priority policy areas in consultation with NNU legislative and regulatory staff.
- Prepare written testimony, agency comments, policy and position papers, talking points, fact sheets, press releases, and correspondence to policy makers.
- Build strong alliances with other organizations to advance our legislative and policy goals.
- Work closely with Registered Nurses in organizing them to engage in legislative advocacy in Washington DC and in their districts.
- 3+ years of experience in legislative, policy, and advocacy work.
- Demonstrated ability to independently execute federal legislative campaigns.
- Demonstrated ability to quickly learn and communicate complex policy. (Expertise in health care, trade, veterans affairs, labor law reform, or tax policy is preferred for this position)
- An experienced communicator with excellent writing and verbal communication skills
- Capable public speaker who is confident in preparing and giving speeches, and interacting with diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated research skills.
- In-depth knowledge of the legislative process and government relations.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with allied organizations.
- bility to work irregular hours when necessary.
- Experience working in a labor union, a social justice advocacy organization, or on Capitol Hill.
- Pertinent advanced degree.
Salary and Benefits: Excellent salary depending on experience, and outstanding benefits offered, including comprehensive family health & dental plan, domestic partner coverage, and generous pension.
Please submit a CV, Cover Letter, plus 3 writing samples following your cover letter as part of the same document, or as links attached to the one page form.
NNU is committed to Equal Opportunity, and considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, gender identities, national origins, ethnicities, religions and other characteristics. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply.