National Nurses United (NNU), the nation’s largest nurses union seeks an experienced legislative advocate and political organizer to take on a diverse portfolio within the union’s legislative and political work. NNU leads the Registered Nurse movement to transform the market-driven healthcare industry in the United States into a health care system driven by patient needs. NNU has negotiated the best Registered Nurse collective bargaining contracts in the nation and provided critical leadership in the labor and social justice movements on multiple issues including on Medicare for All, health and safety protections for health care workers, progressive taxation, environmental justice and climate change, and labor law reform.
Under the direction of the Political Director and the Legislative Director, the Legislative Advocate’s primary focus will be to advance our organization’s objectives through the union’s federal legislative and political programs. This work includes lobbying Members of Congress to advance the union’s priority legislation, writing testimony and advocacy materials, building alliances with other organizations to advance our agenda, and organizing nurse membership involvement. Candidates with policy and advocacy experience on health care and nursing practice are encouraged to apply. The legislative advocate will also engage in the international work of the union, working to build international nurse union solidarity, and campaigning on international issues including environmental justice and access to medicines.
This is a unique and exciting opportunity for the right person to make a real difference for health care justice and building the movement for economic and social justice, both domestically in the United States and internationally.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- 3+ years of experience working professionally in a union or social justice movement organization
- Demonstrated ability to independently execute federal legislative campaigns
- Demonstrated success in political organizing and campaign work
- Highly developed communication skills
- Highly developed written and analytical skills
- Demonstrated knowledge on health care policy areas including nursing practice, medicare policy, and the intersections of technology and health care.
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with allied organizations
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team
- Bachelors Degree and relevant advanced degree are preferred
- Proficiency in another language is a plus, especially Spanish
Please submit your resume and cover letter, and complete the 1-page form at the end to attach 3 writing samples
National Nurses United is a premiere organization of registered nurses and one of the nation’s fastest growing labor and professional organizations in the U.S. and a strong, progressive voice for nurses, patients and healthcare workers around the world. We are seeking a like-minded and experienced professional who believes in our mission with a personal dedication to social justice issues to be our Legislative Advocate.
NNU is committed to Equal Opportunity, and to considering applicants of all ages, races, sexual orientations, national origins, ethnicities, and religions. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and experiences related to our core organizational values and objectives to apply.