Big Rallies Today – San Jose and Berkeley
California Nurses Association Press Release, 5/23/13
RNs on Strike Thursday – San Jose 2-Day Walkout Begins as East Bay Sutter RNs Mark Last Day of 7-Day Strike
Registered Nurses at Good Samaritan and Regional Medical Center in San Jose begin a two-day strike Thursday, May 23 as RNs at five East Bay Sutter hospitals begin the final day of their seven-day walkout.
Both walkouts –protests against hospital employer demands for sweeping reductions in RN standards and concerns about patient protections – will feature large mid-day rallies. At the seven hospitals combined, some 4,500 RNs, as well as respiratory, X-ray, and other techs are affected by the strikes.
• San Jose – RN rally, 12 noon, Good Samaritan Hospital, 2425 Samaritan Drive
• Berkeley – RN rally, 1 p.m., Alta Bates Summit Medical Center, 2450 Ashby
In San Jose, the key issues include the refusal of hospital officials to move forward in efforts to end the contract dispute with nurses which centers in large part on proposed elimination of the nurses’ pension plan, and concerns about hospital staffing. After the two day strike ends, the hospitals have said they intend to lock out the RNs for an additional three days extending the dispute.
At East Bay Sutter hospitals, management is insisting on elimination of paid sick leave, effectively forcing nurses to work when ill and exposing already frail and vulnerable patients to further infection. Sutter officials are also demanding termination of all health coverage for nurses and techs who work less than 30 hours per week – which would end health benefits entirely for 535 RNs and 31 techs but with covered children and spouses or partners included the loss of benefits would affect over 1,100.
All the hospitals are affiliated with large hospital systems that are profitable and have no need to demand major reductions or refuse to address the nurses’ concerns over staffing say the RNs.
San Jose strike beginning at 7 a.m. today
• Good Samaritan Hospital, 2425 Samaritan Drive, San Jose
• Regional Medical Center, 225 North Jackson Ave San Jose
Sutter hospitals affected by the strike
• Alta Bates Summit, Berkeley, 2450 Ashby, Berkeley
• Alta Bates Summit, Herrick, 2001 Dwight, Berkeley
• Alta Bates Summit, Oakland, 350 Hawthorne, Oakland
• Eden Medical Center, 20103 Lake Chabot Road, Castro Valley
• Sutter Delta, Antioch, 3901 Lone Tree Way, Antioch