All fields must be completed unless marked "optional."
Nurses are increasingly put into impossible situations by hospital managers who demand they care for more patients than is safe. There is a proven method to save patient lives and save hospital money—mandated minimum nurse-to-patient staffing ratios. Legislation that would mandate such ratios in DC hospitals was introduced in the DC Council on February 5th. The Patient Protection Act, the bill, once enacted, will improve healthcare for patients in all DC hospitals by:
- Establishing minimum RN-to-patient ratios on all units at all times to protect patient safety.
- Protecting the right of nurses to advocate in their patients’ interests.
- Instituting genuine whistle-blower protection for RNs, other healthcare providers, and patients who report unsafe conditions.
- Forbidding unsafe, mandatory overtime that puts patients in danger.
- Protecting ancillary staff and providing hospitals an opportunity to increase nursing staff beyond minimum standards when needed.
Please help pass the Patient Protection Act by signing our letter to the DC Mayor and Councilmembers. Thank you!